What happens when you want to have a good authentic Indian breakfast/lunch/dinner and with a condition of not having the dish loaded with carbs? The answer is Lentil Dosa!!!, thats what struck me. During college days, Mom used to keep a lot of lentils in powder form which used to be mixed with water and make the ghavane which is similar to dosa, so that it was easier to prepare the breakfast early mornings. Coming back to the low carb diet, I make use of the lentils along with the rice and they make a delicious and nutritious breakfast!
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup urad dal(black split gram)
1/2 cup chana dal (yellow split gram)
1/2 cup moong dal
1 tsp methi seeds(fenugreek seeds)
oil or oil spray
1. Soak the rice, lentils and fenugreek seeds in water for 4 -5 hours
2. Grind these to a smooth batter. Add salt. The consistency of the batter is important in making the dosas, it shouldn't be of very thin consistency.
3. Leave the batter overnight to make dosas the next day (I actually made some dosas immediately after when the batter was ready, and they came out good)
4. Heat a non-stick pan, take a ladle full of the batter and spread it on the pan in circular motion to make thin dosas. Apply oil on the sides, or use oil spray.
6. Cook on both sides, if desired.
7. Serve hot with chutney/potato bhaji /sambar.
Cooking Time: 15 -25 min