We always make this as an appetizer/starter or at times when its a dieting time :-). Back home we use to make this during Nagapanchmi and mix it with lahya(puffed millet/jowar). I've used the chikpea of bengal gram variety. We also call it as harbare.
1 cup chikpeas/chana
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 - 4 green chillies, chopped
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumins seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
1 strand of curry leaves
3 tsp oil
garnish: 2 tsp grated coconut & cilantro/coriander
1. Soak the chana/bengal gram/chikpeas in water and leave it overnight. Drain water before cooking.
2. In a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds. As the mustard seeds start popping add, cumin seeds, curry leaves, choppd onions and greeen chillies. Saute.
3. Add the chikpeas, a cup of water and cook the chikpeas with lid covered. Do not overcook, it just needs to be soft enough.
4. Once cooked, add salt and cumin powder and mix well/saute till the water is all used up.
5. Add grated coconut and cilantro for garnish.
Preparation: 20 mins
Serves: 2 -3
This is my entry to the My Love affair with Legumes-Fifteenth Helping and invited by The well seasoned cook.