I don’t remember having white kidney beans but there are so many varieties of this seeds and this preparation is our regular recipe that could be used with any other types of beans or peas. I have separately used the ginger garlic paste here, although a fresh ginger-garlic used in grinding the spice mix will make the curry taste much better. Although I have used the goda masala, use garam masala incase you do not have one, though it could read the link to add few more ingredients to get the spice mix.
3 cups white kidney beans, soaked overnight & cooked
2 tbsp oil
strand of curry leaves
1/2 cup onions
1 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp goda masala/garam masala
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
Grind:1/2 cup fresh/frozen coconut
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 cup cooked beans (from above 3 cups)
1. Soak the bean overnight. Then cook them in a pressure cooker or in a vessel(will take time) until soft but not mushy.
2. To prepare the masala, grind all the ingredients mentioned. Use the same 1/2 cup beans from the above.
3. Heat oil in a deep vessel. Add chopped onions, curry leaves and saute.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and slightly saute.
5. Add the cooked beans along with its water, ground masala, goda masala/garam masala, chili powder, turmeric and salt. Let it simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and serve with rice or bhakri/chapati.
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 – 6