Marinated Chicken pieces simmered in almond masala/sauce !
Preparing this dish had been pending since such a long time, so today sure, I finally managed to prepare this. In one of my previous posts I had mentioned that I have a 4 lb almond bag sitting since such a long time, that I am still not able to finish it off. Of course, if I make sweet it will finish sooner, but we are in no mood to prepare sweets !
This recipe is a variation from our regular curry with the only variation is the coconut being replaced with almonds. Very easy to prepare, although the ingredients list looks huge and tastes nice and creamy !
2 full cups chicken (~2lb)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/8 tsp turmeric
2 green chilies, sliced
salt to taste
Lightly roast in oil and grind:
2 in cinnamon (uncoiled)
1 bay leaf
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp dry coconut
1/2 cup almonds
Saute in oil & Grind to paste
1 cup onions, chopped
1 large tomato (or 2 cups, chopped)
2 tbsp oil
1/4 cup onions
cilantro/coriander for garnish
1. Marinate the chicken with chili powder, green chili, salt, turmeric and ginger garlic paste. Let it sit for 10 –15 minutes till you prepare the masala.
2. Roast the dry ingredients and spices and grind them to a fine powder.
3. In a pan heat oil and sauté the onions till light brown. The add the tomatoes and sauté for few minutes.
4. Combine the dry masala(step 2) and the onions & tomatoes in a blender and grind to a fine paste using some water.
5. Heat oil in a deep vessel. Add the 1/4 cup chopped onions and sauté.
6. Add the marinated chicken and roast for couple of minutes. Add water and bring it to boil.
7. Then add the masala paste (step 4) and let it simmer over low heat. Add salt and/or water according to consistency required.
8. Let it cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
9. Serve with nan/chapati or with rice.
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Note: This dish can be varied to make butter chicken by adding 3 –4 tbsp of butter and 2 –3 tbsp of kasuri methi.
Another variation is to just use dry unsweetened coconut or any other nuts/dry fruits instead of almonds.