A combination curry with jackfruit seeds and cluster beans is very much a konkan recipe. This is the season when the market is flooded with jackfruits, the raw ones used in making lot of curries and the seeds of the ripe ones. I was able to get these frozen jackfruit seeds at our local Indian grocery store which were already slightly cooked, shelled and sliced, else you would need to follow the steps. One of the other ways of preparing this recipe can be followed here. I did not have the green chilies, instead used the chili powder.
The jackfruit seeds resemble like the Brazilian nuts. Whenever we used to get the jackfruit back home, it was a huge task, we used to enjoy though, applying oil to palms, then each one removing the fruits from their own share, collecting the seeds to roast and eat as they are. If you want to have a look at some best pictures of jackfruit and its seeds, find them here @ jugalbandi.
1 cup jackfruit seeds, boiled,shelled,sliced (phanasachi be)
1 cup cluster beans/gawar/tupshenga
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garam masala (optional)
pinch of turmeric
salt to taste
1. If you have the seeds, slightly cook them to remove the outer cover. Then slice or press the seeds.
2. Heat oil in a pan or vessel. Add the onions and sauté till translucent.
3. Add the cluster beans and jackfruit seeds and sauté for a while.
4. Add tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric, masala, salt and water. Close the lid and let it cook.
5. Once cooked, remove from heat and garnish with fresh coconut.
6. Serve with bhakri/chapati.
Preparation Time: 25 mins (may be more if starting from scratch)
Serves; 2 -3