Green Chicken Curry – Variation from a regular one !
I had actually planned to prepare our regular green chicken curry with coconut and little more spices. But since I had a lot of yogurt lying in the fridge, decided to use yogurt instead and a little less spices. We use this masala to make the Belgaum style Biryani which I might post later on, till then enjoy this nice green and creamy curry !
2 cups chicken, cubed
whole masala (1 bay leaf, 2 in cinnamon, 4 –5 cardamoms, 4 –5 cloves, 1 mace/javitri)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 cup yogurt
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
Grind to paste:
5 – 6 big garlic cloves
3 in ginger
5 –6 mint leaves
1 cup cilantro/coriander
2 – 3 small green chilies
1. Grind garlic, ginger, mint, cilantro and green chilies to a fine paste.
2. Marinate the chicken with this paste along with yogurt and some salt. Leave aside for 15 – 20 mins
3. Heat oil in a deep vessel, add the whole garam masala. Then add the onions and saute till they turn translucent.
4. Add the chicken pieces and saute for few minutes. Then add all the remaining marinade, coriander and cumin powder.
5. Close the lid and let it simmer till the chicken is cooked or the oil separates from the side.
6.Garnish with cilantro and a dash of lemon juice. Serve with nan/chapati or with rice.
Variation: To make a dry version of the curry, just add 2 –3 tbsp of yogurt and/or use some butter to make the buttery version of the curry.
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 – 4