By now if you have seen couple of my last posts, there is always a post every few days with this tasty and flavorful green masala, yes its my favorite. The use of green chilies, ginger, garlic and cilantro is my most favorite combination/masala that I regularly use for rice or non-veg preparations. It is also called Malvani Hirwa Masala based on the region it is most famous for. Malvan is a town on India’s West Coast and most of the konkani food specializing in seafood and/or chicken recipes heavily use this mixture.
I have another ghee roast recipe here with regular chili powder and tamarind. The one posted below is using the green masala and it tasted just awesome. With the flavor and aroma of the green masala, the dish goes best with rice flour roti/ghavne.
2 full cups chicken (~ 2 lb)
2 tbsp yogurt
4 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
whole masala (1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp pepper corns, 5 cloves, 5 cardamoms, 2 in cinnamon)
1 tsp coriander seeds powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
1 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
4 in ginger
8 cloves of garlic
4 green chilies
1. Grind the green masala (garlic, ginger, green chilies, cilantro) to a coarse paste.
2. Marinate the chicken with green masala, yogurt and salt. Leave it for 15 –20 mins
3. Heat ghee in a deep vessel. Add the whole masala and sauté. Immediately add the marinated chicken and saute for few minutes.
4. Add the remaining marinade, coriander powder and cumin powder.
5. Close lid and let it cook till ghee separates from the sides.
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro, lemon juice and serve with chapati/ghavne/nan/rice.
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Serves: 3 – 4