Wishing Everyone a Happy Sankranti / Pongal / Lohri !!!
Actually I should have posted some sweet related to Sankranti, with ingredients like sesame and jaggery, but didn’t. I had prepared this couple of days back and thought this is a good time to post it, atleast some sweet ! The recipe is similar to a Konkan cake called dhondas which is made with rava and cucumber. I am allergic to cucumber, so the recipe gets twisted in my own ways to include the over ripe bananas. The other recipe which is a similar one, is the Goan/Konkan Baath Cake which is made with coconut and rava except that this is a eggless version. Very easy to prepare, make it when you don’t know what to do with the over ripe bananas !!!
1 cup mashed over ripe bananas(2 nos)
1/2 cup semolina/rava/sooji/ferina, fine
1/2 cup sugar, fine
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp milk (skip this for vegan version)
2 cardamoms, powdered
1. Mash the over ripe bananas. Add sugar, oil, milk and whisk.
2. Roast the rava for few minutes if preferred(I skipped). Add salt and baking soda.
3. Combine the both the wet and dry ingredients. Add cardamom powder and give a stir. Close and keep aside for 15 – 20 mins. Transfer to a baking tray.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F and place the tray at the center.
5. Bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the knife inserted comes out clean
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 30 – 55 minutes
Serves: 2 - 4