The first time I had this Thai pineapple fried rice was in one of the Thai restaurants in Philadelphia and it was an instant favorite not just me, but among all my friends too! I’ve made this numerous times, but it never tastes like the one we had at the restaurant, obviously because I skip some of the very much needed ingredients to make this fried rice. I’ve mentioned below that I skip the soya sauce, fish sauce and the eggs that are a must in making/preparing this rice and use some of the chili powder and garam masala to make up for the skipped ingredients. If you don’t mind using soya/fish sauce in your regular cooking, do add and let me know of the outcome !!! But here’s a vegan version of the pineapple fried rice !
4 cups rice, previously cooked
2 cups pineapple, cubed
2 cups veggies, chopped (used beans, carrots, peas, bell pepper)
2 tbsp nuts (cashews, raisins)
1/4 tsp chili powder(optional)
1 tsp garam masala (optional)
salt to taste
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp ginger, minced
1/2 cup onions
2 tbsp green chilies, chopped
Ingredients you might consider adding:(I’ve skipped these)
soya sauce/fish sauce
Pre-prep- If there is no previously cooked or left over rice, then cook the rice, separate the cooked grains and let it cool completely before you proceed to make the fried rice.
1. Heat oil in a skillet and add onions and sauté till translucent. Add the chilies, ginger, garlic and sauté.
2. Add nuts/dry fruits and fry. Then add the chopped vegetables and roast for few minutes.
3. Sprinkle the chili powder, garam masala, salt and mix. Add cubed pineapple and stir briefly.
4. Add the cooked rice, with continuous stirring and tossing, let the rice get coated with the seasonings.
5. Garnish with sesame oil, spring onions, toasted peanuts if preferred !
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 - 4
Note: The ingredients mentioned (ones I skipped) can be added in step 3 before adding pineapples.