These have many names like Russian Teacake, Mexican wedding cake, Swedish Teacake, Italian Butternut, Butterballs, Snowballs…I guess the list will go on as these are one of the most favorite and traditional holiday/Christmas cookies. Its interesting how with the same ingredients the name of the recipe varies by the region. Just like the Indian festivals are not complete without a deep fried sweet, the American holiday season is not complete without a cookie. So had to make one!! Traditional Russian teacakes use pecan as these are also called as pecan balls (another name !!!). I’ve used almonds (have a 4lb bag lying in my pantry) and if you’ve noticed my previous posts, most goodies are topped with almonds! Try using any other nuts of your choice and am sure these melt in mouth cookies will always be a hit !!
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar (confectionary)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup nuts, roasted, chopped
1/8 tsp salt
some sugar to roll the cookies
1. In a bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence to make light and fluffy cream.
2. Sift flour and salt and add to the above butter mixture. Mix.
3. Add in the chopped nuts and combine to make a soft dough.
4. Pre heat oven to 400F.
5. Shape dough into 1 inch balls or cookie shapes and bake at 400F for 10 – 12 minutes.
6. Once cooled, lightly dust with confectionary sugar if required !!!
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Baking Time: 12 mins
Makes: 15 – 18 cookies
Note: I over baked a little so that I could get a light brown color, otherwise these are off white in color.
MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR