The scallions are also know as green onions/spring onions or salad onions. This is a simple dish that was prepared for a side using eggplant/brinjal. Very simple and easy! And all these combinations of veggies come up because it is time to clear the stuff from the fridge, so by the weekend comes, I can get some fresh ones!
I have used the regular onions for tempering and the spring onions are added just before the dish is done so that the colors are retained and is not overcooked.
1 Chinese eggplant, sliced into wedges, 1 1/2 cup
1 cup spring/green onions, chopped
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 tomato, sliced
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a flat pan and saute the onions till translucent.
2. Add the eggplant wedges and fry them on each sides. Put the eggplants wedges in one layer and not on top of each other so that they are cooked evenly.
3. Once the eggplants are slightly cooked, season with salt, turmeric and chili powder.
4. Add the spring onions and tomatoes and give a stir/sauté for a minute or two.
5. Remove from heat and serve as a side with rice/chapati or any main dish.
Preparation Time: 10 – 15 mins