Simple Christmas Cake
Christmas is an occasion where all the family and friends come together and we offer each other good wishes. Making all these Christmas goodies takes back to the memories when we all together use to make ‘Kuswar’ with so much eagerness and excitement!. In my last post comments, some of my blogger friends asked if I am from Goa (India), yes I do belong but brought up in Belgaum and Mumbai.
All of these traditional Goan/Indian Christmas recipes are prepared as per my mom and grand mothers directions. This is a simple cake while other traditional Christmas recipes include plum cake, fruit cake, kul kul, Baath Cake among others. I have not made any changes or any cake decorations to keep them simple, traditional and home style. I hope you’ll make it and enjoy it as I’ve always !! This goes to Cakes N Cookies hosted by Sara’s Corner.
1 cup all purpose flour (maida) (~125g)
3/4 cup sugar (~125g)
1/2 cup butter (~125g)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp of nuts/dry fruits (optional or add more)
1. Cream the butter and sugar until spongy and keep aside.
2. Beat eggs until fluffy. Slowly add the sifted flour and baking powder and continue mixing.
3. Add the egg-flour mixture to the butter-sugar cream mixture, a little by little or else the mixture will curdle.
4. Add essence and mix. Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
5. Grease a baking tray and pour the mixture and top with nuts/dry fruits. (Use parchment paper if preferred. I use a greased glass bowl dusted with flour. This makes the cake to come off easily. Picture below.)
6. Bake at 350F (175C) for 50 – 60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Preparation Time: 30 – 40 mins
Baking Time: 50 – 60 mins
Note: The above ingredients make two of these cakes.
Very important step is mixing the batter.
Other Christmas Recipes: