While I am writing this post, we are having the first snowfall of the season!!!!!!! Everything is starting to get covered in the white snow blanket, the actual start of the winter and holiday season.
Well coming to the recipe, Kadhai Chicken means chicken cooked in a skillet or wok. I just cook it in a vessel or pan! The difference between Moghlai and Awadhi cuisines is the use of spices. Moghlai cuisines uses lot of spices and heavy use of cream/yogurt/paneer while the Awadhi cuisine(Lucknow) uses just few spice ingredients and a slow cooking process. I got this recipe from one of our friends whos relatives belong to Lucknow and she mentioned to me that this recipe is basically prepared with ginger garlic, pepper flakes, that’s it but lot of oil. Well, I am not going add a whole lot of oil so made it up with some spices to replace for some amount of oil. May be next time when I take a picture of the exact recipe minus oil, will make for another post !
1/2 tsp cumin powder(optional)
1/2 tsp coriander powder(optional)
1 tbsp of red pepper flakes
2 tsp red chili powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste & lemon for garnish(must)
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken, cubed (~ 750 gms)
3 tbsp yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
6 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 – 6 large tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp oil (add more if preferred)
1. Combine chicken pieces with yogurt, lemon juice, salt and ginger garlic paste and marinate for 10 – 15 mins or more.
2. Cook the tomatoes in a tbsp of oil, some salt until all the moisture is evaporated and oil starts to leave from the sides.then keep aside. (This step can be skipped and tomatoes can be added to step 3 if preparing a small batch)
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadhai (skillet/wok) and saute the marinated chicken till it slightly starts to get brown. Add red pepper flakes and saute for another min.(The chicken has to be almost cooked during roasting)
4. Add the cooked tomato sauce, chili powder, turmeric and let it cook for 5 – 10 mins more. Add salt if required.
5. Remove from heat and serve with nan. (garnish with thinly sliced bell pepper(i did not have) and lemon juice)
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 – 6
Note: One can skip the step of making the tomato sauce and add the tomatoes after sautéing of chicken. However making the sauce helps while preparing the larger quantity of dish.