Other Names: Bhaath Cake, Bolo de Coco, Coconut Cake, Rava Cake, Sooji Cake
Baath cake is another Goan Christmas specials that forms the part of the kuswar, the unique set of Christmas goodies. It is a moist cake, rich with coconut and one of the authentic goan dish. Made with semolina, eggs, coconut, sugar, butter, this is extra rich, flavorful with all the ingredients that go into preparing it, very simple one and mouthwatering !!! This recipe goes to AWED-Portuguese hosted by Priya and started by DK.
2 + 1/2 cups coconut, fresh/frozen and grated (~400g)
1 full cup semolina (~200g)
1 full cup sugar* (~200g)
1/8 cup all purpose flour (maida)
3/4 cup butter/ghee
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp dry fruits (optional)
1. Beat the eggs till fluffy and add grated coconut slowly with continuous mixing.
2. Combine semolina, sugar, flour and baking powder and add slowly to the above mixture with continuous mixing.
3. Beat the butter/ghee and add it to the above mixture. Continue mixing.
4. Leave the batter for 6 –7 hours or overnight.
5. Add vanilla essence (or desired flavor) and mix.
6. Transfer the batter in a greased baking tray (I've used 8x8 glass tray) and top with dry fruits.
7. Preheat oven to 325˚ F (165˚ C) and place the tray at the center.
8. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Baking Time: 45 – 50 minutes
Note: * Add more sugar if you need the cake to be more sweet.
The baking tray has to be half full so that the cake is cooked properly, so use a baking tray accordingly.
Coat the dry fruits with some flour before adding to the batter.