Batata RassaAfter having so much of sweets and exotic food during diwali, we (I did) tend to crave for some simple comfort food. So I prepared this simple potato curry with rice. Batata is what we call in marathi and aloo/alu in hindi for potato and rassa means curry or rather gravy. Batata rassa is very simple as there is nothing spicy hot about the dish but rather chilli hot as I do not use any spices in the curry but rather just use chilli powder. Mom made this whenever we were out of town and were late to reach home in the evening as this is one quick, simple, easy recipe and tastes good with bhakri or steaming white rice. There are other variations of the potato curry and will post them in future !
2 large potatoes, deskinned & cubed
1 large tomato, finley chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp red chilli powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
cilantro/coriander for garnish
1. Deskin the potatoes and cut them into cubes
2. Heat oil in a vessel and fry onions till they turn translucent
3. Add potatoes and saute, then add in the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and water.(add water according to consistency required)
4. Bring it to boil and let it simmer for 15 - 20 minutes on medium heat. (Since there are no spices in the curry, the potato/tomato flavors will be imparted and the curry will thicken.)
5. Add cilantro for garnish and serve.
Preparation Time: 20 - 25 mins
Serves: 2 - 3
Variation:Add ginger garlic paste and/or garam masala or any other vegetable for a different taste
Note: I am little generous in using oil for this dish, but reduce it according to your need.
Thank you Rohini, Indu_s and ambika for being newest followers on my blog !!