Last couple of days, it seems like summer is here with temperatures in their 80’s ! But then everything looks so fresh and welcoming with all the trees blooming with flowers and leaves. Being here in the DC/MD area, I’ve never had the opportunity to see the DC Cherry Blossom Festival, or the trees in their full bloom. So this time I’ve decided to make it to the festival !!!
Today’s recipe is a simple buttermilk curry, there are many versions of these in different regions, but this one is one my Mom makes. One can replace the spring onions with other veggies of your choice. Back home we actually used the buttermilk, since it is free of fat content is a good option health wise, although one could use a fat free yogurt whisked with water.
2 cups buttermilk+1 cup water OR 1 Cup yogurt(fat free) + 2 cups water
2 cups of green onions, chopped
1 tbsp of besan/gram flour
salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5 –6 curry leaves
2 green chilies, chopped
3 –4 big garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
pinch of asafetida
pinch of turmeric
1. Whisk together buttermilk, water and besan.
2. Heat oil in a deep vessel. Add mustard seeds, as they splutter, add all the other ingredients in the sequence as mentioned in the tempering.
3. Add the chopped spring/green onions and sauté for few minutes.
4. Add the whisked buttermilk mixture, salt and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 2 –3 minutes
5. Serve it with rice or just have it as a soup
Preparation Time; 10 mins