Red lentil and tomatoes cooked with a tempering of mustard seeds, curry leaves and onions !
You must have read the stories of lost and found, about there are hundreds of Bollywood movies spun around the storylines of how siblings are lost from each other and later how they meet or the situations that make them come together. But, why this discussion about movies or stories? This is one of those recipes that makes me remember the lost and found stories, not to mention, this recipe is kind of lost and found one for me !! Every time I cook this recipe, I remember the taste, the flavor of this curry lingering in my mouth, as a kid which I had at one of my relatives place(I was so much interested in food you see :-) and found it back with my experiments in the kitchen. So here is my favorite lost and found curry recipe -
1 cup red lentils (masoor dal)
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 cup onions, sliced
1 strand of curry leaves
pinch of asafetida
2 cups tomatoes, finely chopped
pinch of turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a deep vessel. Add mustard seeds, as they splutter add onions, curry leaves and sauté till onions are translucent. Add asafetida.
2. Rinse the lentils with water and add into the vessel.
3. Add water, tomatoes, salt and chili powder. Close the lid and let it cook on medium heat.
4. Once cooked, garnish with chopped cilantro.
5. Serve with nan or with plain white rice.
Preparation Time: 15 – 20 mins