How is everyone doing? I know, I have been on and off with my posting lately. Hopefully I’ll do better as I’ve got so many recipes to share and also see some recipes that I’ve been missing.
So here is one of the very traditional Maharastrian/North Karnataka snack prepared during the fasts. Very similar to this recipe is using sweet potato instead of the regular potato which is also made during fasts or rather is made as a quick snack. I’ve added mustard seeds for tempering which can be skipped as some people do not use it during fasts. The grated potato is combined with flavorful ghee and the nutty flavor of peanuts, would definitely make this one of the favorite snacks.
4 medium potatoes/ 4 cups grated
2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
1/4 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilies, finely chopped
4 tbsp peanut, coarsely ground
salt to taste
1. Peel the potato skin and grate the potatoes. Keep them soaked in water.
2. Rinse the grated potatoes atleast 2 - 3 times to remove any starch.
3. Meanwhile, heat ghee/butter in a vessel or a pan.
4. Add mustard seeds. As they splutter, add cumin seeds and green chili.
5. Add the coarsely ground peanut and sauté for few seconds.
6. Squeeze any extra water from the grated potatoes and add them to the tempering.
7. Stir for 5 –6 minutes on med-high heat. Garnish with fresh coconut/cilantro/lemon juice.
Preparation Time: 20 mins