Methi Fish – Fish with Fenugreek leaves
A combination dish which came up as I wanted to prepare both fish and methi leaves. A very flavorful dish, probably is a specialty of Bengali, Punjabi cuisine. The use of fenugreek seeds for tempering gives a wonderful aroma to the dish. I cooked this dish in tomato and to add a touch of variation, one could add yogurt to this dish while cooking. I personally do not mix milk products and seafood while cooking nor do I combine them in my meals. Recipe for this flavorful dish follows !
4 fish pieces
4 cups of fresh fenugreek leaves
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 large tomato, finely chopped
2 tsp chili powder or according to taste
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
1/2 lemon juice
1. Rub salt to the fish pieces and keep aside, then rinse.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the fenugreek seeds and saute till dark brown. Then remove the seeds from the oil.
3. Add onions in the same oil and saute till translucent.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and saute.
5. Add finely chopped tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder and let it cook till the mixture turns into a sauce like consistency.Stir in the fenugreek leaves.
6. Add the fish pieces,salt, little water(if desired) and let it cook on a slow flame.
7. Squeeze in some lemon juice before serving.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Variation: One could add about 2 cups of thick beaten yogurt to make a gravy.