I had learnt this tawa (tawa or tava is a griddle) fry dish from my grand mother when I was in school. She used to prepare this on the tava after making bhakri/roti is a quick dish because the tawa is so hot because of preparing the roti's and it used to just matter of minutes to make this dish.This has been our favourite way of cooking bitter gourd and like to have it with bhakri or chapati.
Bitter Gourd (Karela): 7-8 medium sized chopped/grated
Green Chilles: 4 finely chopped
Garlic: 15 cloves finely chopped
Oil: 2 Tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar: 1 Tbsp (Optional)
1. Wash Bitter Gourd thoroughly with water.
2. Slit open the bitter gourd and scrape the seeds and discard the seeds.
3. Finely chop the deseeded gourd using a food processor/hand grater.
4. In a pan add oil, garlic and chilli and saute for 1-2 mins.
5. Add salt and turmeric and saute
6. Keep the flame at high heat, add the grated bitter gourd to the pan and stir fry for about 10 mins.
7. Remove from the heat and serve with chapati/bread.
Optional: After step 3, Squeeze the juices of the grated gourd if you need to reduce the bitterness.(Doing this will strip off the necessary nutrients) and add sugar during step 6.
Very nice recepies, I got to know the Karela Tava Bhaji recepie, thanks for the recepie.
Yes making karela this way is one unique way..
I love karela and I loved this simple recipe you posted as I've never come across one like this before.
Typically, I fry it well, keep it aside, then fry onions, tomatoes and when it starts to smell good, i add haldi, salt and some Thai sweet chili sauce and when it simmers, I remove it from the flame. I think it goes very well as a side dish with rice or chapati and it doesn't taste bitter at all.
Post a Comment