This glowing yellow color rice is actually a breakfast dish prepared in Maharastra and Northern Karnataka where it is known as Phodni Bhaat, literally meaning tempered rice. A little dash of lemon and few more ingredients like chana dal converts it to a dish known Chitranna and Lemon rice down South. A leftover rice is usually used to prepare this, however if you are using a freshly prepared rice, then make sure to cool it down before using it to prepare the dish.
I had actually prepared this for brunch and made it wholesome by adding few veggies and nuts. These are optional but they sure make dish a little rich !
4 cups rice, previously cooked
3 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 strand of curry leaves
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 –3 green chilies, chopped
1 cup spring onions, chopped
1/2 cup fresh/frozen (peas + chikpeas)
1/4 cup nuts (almonds, cashews, raisins)
1/8 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish
1. Separate the previous cooked rice with a fork. If using a freshly cooked rice, allow it to cool before using.
2. Heat oil in a large pan. Add mustard seeds, as they splutter, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, chopped onions, chilies and sauté for few minutes.
3. Then add the chopped spring onions, peas, chickpeas, nuts and saute for few more minutes
4. Add salt and turmeric. Add rice and give a nice stir till all the rice is coated with the mixture.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Serves: 2 - 4