Over the weekend, this is something that was prepared in a jiffy as I was not very keen on having to go out to eat. For me pulav is an easy and simple way of cooking up a lunch or dinner and have a good nutrition value attached to it. One of my acquaintances saw a picture on one of my recipe posts and said that I have been preparing special dishes such as pulav. Hmm, but for me pulav is not a special occasion dish, but rather a quick one pot meal and great way of having daily servings of fruits and vegetables. “Did I say five”, yes!, research and dietary guidelines recommend that we should have an intake of atleast five servings of fruits and vegetables on daily basis.
Apart from soups, this is one dish that I prefer with lot of mixed veggies. So here is the recipe for the mixed vegetable pulao/pilaf. Other then the veggies mentioned here, one can go ahead and use any other that will be available! Serve the pilaf with raita or dal or any spicy curry.
1 cup basmati rice
3 cups mixed veggies (cauliflower(florets), potato(cubed), peas(frozen), carrots (grated), green beans (chopped))
2 tbsp oil or ghee
1/2 onion, sliced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander powder
5 – 6 green cardamom, slightly cracked
5 – 6 cloves (long, lavang)
7 – 8 peppercorns
2 in cinnamon, broken
1 bay leaf
1 jalapeno pepper,sliced (or2 –3 green chilies)
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 3/4 - 2 cups water, (hot/boiling)
salt to taste
Dry fruits for garnish (Optional)
1. Wash and soak the rice for 15 – 20 minutes. Drain the water and keep aside or drain when at step 7.
2. Heat oil or ghee in a deep and heavy bottom vessel.
3. Add the whole spices (cardamom, cloves, pepper, cumin seeds, bay leaf) and saute.
4. Add the onions and fry till they are slightly brown.
5.Then add the sliced jalapeno pepper, ginger garlic paste and saute. Also add the coriander powder
6. Add the vegetables and sauté or roast for couple of minutes.
7. Then add the rice and sauté or fry for 5 more minutes.
8. Add water, salt and bring it to boil on high heat. Let it remain on high heat for few more minutes till you see lot of vapors.
9. Cover the lid, reduce the heat to low and let it cook.
10. Remove from heat and serve it with raita/dal/curry on the side
Preparation Time: 20-25 mins
Serves: 2 - 3