Recipe: Sauteed chicken with spices and curry leaves !
Pepper Chicken is a recipe that belongs to lot of cuisines with their own variations. I did see it in lot of Italian restaurants and then we have our very own South Indian style of pepper chicken. This recipe is no way an authentic pepper chicken but my own version with the ingredients that I had at hand. I love to use curry leaves in my cooking as it gives a nice sweetish flavor to the dish, but never used the curry leaves in meat curries back home. After visiting couple of South Indian restaurants here, for a change I did start to make use of curry leaves for chicken sauté or curries. And of course adding the freshly ground pepper takes the flavor and spice to the next level very much needed to beat the cold. So here is a simple, easy to follow pepper chicken recipe !
2 - 3 tbsp oil
1/2 onion, sliced
1 strand of curry leaves
1 tsp peppercorns, ground (add more if preferred)
2 full cups chicken, cubed
2 tbsp yogurt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
1. Marinate the chicken with the ingredients mentioned under marinate list. Keep it for 15 – 30 minutes or more.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add curry leaves and onions. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
3. Add the marinated chicken and sautee on high heat till the chicken is cooked and all the water is absorbed.
4. Slightly roast the peppercorns, ground them to a fine powder and add it the sauteed chicken. Stir for few minutes.
5. Serve as an appetizer or as a side.
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Note: I prepared this to a dry consistency, but one can vary it to make a gravy like consistency.