Aloo Chicken with Kasoori Methi Masala
This is my version of methi masala and have no idea if there is any masala or spice mix as such. I actually wanted to saute the chicken in tandoori spice mix but while preparing the spice mix, excluded some spices and gave a twist to make it little different by adding in more kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves). Kasoori Methi is a herb, basically dried fenugreek leaves. It has a bitter taste but gives a nice aroma and flavor to the dish. Though most of the time, the fenugreek seeds are used in making the spice mix, I attempted to make use of the dry leaves as I have a packet full of this herb lying in the pantry for a long time. But the final dish was awesome and do give it a try.
For vegetarian version, replace the chicken with more potatoes or tofu and the result is going to be awesome !! Serve it as a side or with nan/chapati/bread
1 full cup chicken, cubed(small)
1 large potato, de skinned, cubed(small)
3 tbsp yogurt
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
For the spice mix
2 tsp coriander powder or 4 tsp seeds
1 tsp cumin powder or 2 tsp seeds
3 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves(Kasoori Methi)
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp turmeric
1. Combine the ingredients mentioned for spice mix and grind them to a fine powder
2. Combine the spice mix(step 1), yogurt, ginger garlic paste, salt, potatoes and chicken and let it marinate for few minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large flat pan/skillet, add the marinated mixture and saute on high heat. Keep turning for 5 – 7 minutes.
4. Sprinkle little water if needed and close the lid, lower the heat to medium and let it cook for 5-10 minutes
5. Toss and turn so that all the water is evaporated. Add water if you need a gravy like consistency (I made it as a dry curry/sukka, as chicken and potatoes can just be sautéed without any water as they will be cooked with the yogurt and chicken moisture)
6. Garnish with cilantro or coriander leaves or ideally with fresh fenugreek leaves!
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Serves : 3
More Chicken Recipes:
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
Oven Baked Kabab-Irani/Parsi Cuisine